As the winter months approach, homeowners in Melbourne prioritise a reliable and efficient heating system. Gas ducted heating units are perfect for homes with ducted systems but they require regular maintenance to keep them running optimally. Regular maintenance is crucial to ensure that your gas ducted heating unit is running effectively and efficiently. In this blog post, we will discuss the importance of regular maintenance for gas ducted heating units and provide helpful maintenance tips that every homeowner should know.
Why is Regular Maintenance of your Gas Ducted Heating necessary?
Like any other household appliance, gas ducted heating units need regular maintenance to keep them functioning optimally. Regular maintenance ensures that all parts of the unit are working correctly and efficiently. It helps prevent sudden breakdowns and extends the lifespan of the heating unit.
Ignoring the need for regular maintenance of your gas ducted heating unit can lead to various problems, including:
- Increased Energy Bills: A poorly maintained heating system will draw more energy to perform its task, resulting in higher energy bills.
- Carbon Monoxide Leaks: Carbon monoxide is a silent killer that is expelled through the heating unit’s exhaust system. Regular maintenance detects any leaks and eliminates this risk.
- Poor Indoor Air Quality: Dirty air filters impede airflow, resulting in poor indoor air quality with dust and allergens trapped within the home.
Signs Your Gas Ducted Heating Unit Needs Maintenance
Here are some signs that your gas ducted heating unit requires a service:
- The Unit is Making Strange Noises: Unusual noises coming from your heating unit could mean it needs a service.
- Foul Odours: A strong, foul smell coming from your heating unit could indicate that it needs a service. It is best to contact a professional for this type of issue.
- Low Heat Output: If your heating unit is not releasing enough heat, it may need gas ducted heating services to ensure that all parts are serviced correctly.
- Higher Energy Bills: If you notice that your energy bills have increased, it may be because your heating unit is working harder than required due to wear and tear.
- Cold Air Blowing: If you feel cold air blowing from your heating unit, it means that the system is not performing optimally, and it may need servicing.
Tips on How to Avoid Issues with Your Heating Unit and Extend the Lifespan
- Regularly Clean Air Filters: This is the easiest type of maintenance a homeowner can undertake. Based on usage rate and filter types, they may need cleaning every 1-3 months.
- Regularly Check Ductwork: Leakage or blockage in the ductwork can cause the heating unit to work harder to warm your home, ultimately increasing energy bills.
- Regularly Check Thermostat: It is important to ensure that your thermostat is working correctly. Malfunctioning thermostats can cause the heating unit to work continuously or turn off sporadically.
- Hire Professional Services: Regularly hire professional gas ducted heating units services to ensure that your heating unit is functioning optimally and does not require urgent repairs.
Regular maintenance is essential for every homeowner that has a gas ducted heating unit. It ensures that the heating unit is running efficiently, while also safeguarding your home and family from the potential risks of a malfunctioning system. By attending and adhering to the tips and techniques in this blog post, homeowners in Melbourne will extend the lifespan of their heating system, improve its performance, and lower the risk of breakdowns and the associated repair costs.